Monday, March 10, 2008

Advice: Use the 4 pillars to de-stress

Q. I feel like I'm treading water all the time with work, chores, payments, household stuff. Last visit to the doctor my blood pressure was borderline high and my MD said I need to "de-stress." But ... I don't know how. Is there one first-best thing I could do?

A. Absolutely. The one first-best thing you can do is put your health first. You won't be able to juggle it all if you are not feeling well. You must make the time to keep your Four Pillars of Biological Health in place: eat well, sleep well, exercise regularly and practice relaxation techniques on a regular basis. Next step will be to re-prioritize your schedule and plan accordingly. Look at what only you can do, and look at what you can delegate or ask for help.

—Psychiatrist and Life Coach Gabriela Cora, MD, MBA
Author of Leading under Pressure, Managing Work in Life, Quantum Wellbeing
Executive Health & Wealth Institute

##

Have questions about your children, dating, coparenting, juggling life, dilemmas particular to single parenting? Shoot us your questions and we'll try to round up an expert for their advice. Click here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I definitely agree. Taking care of yourself first is essential in order for us to cope with everything. Sometimes it can be really tough and I'd wish that I can be in two places at the same time. We should never take our health for granted so that we can manage our day to day activities.